Here's some places that make for good free photo opportunities:
- The Las Vegas sign is always a top photo spot of course. There is parking at the sign; it is located a few blocks south of Mandalay Bay (i.e. pass Mandalay and keep going south). You turn into its parking lot from the south-direction side of Las Vegas Boulevard; there's no entrance on the northbound side so if you're heading north you'll have to do a u-turn at some point. There's usually no parking spots during busy times as there are only four spots plus a handicapped spot, so it's highly recommended that you go off-hours or you could be driving around in circles for a while waiting for a spot to open up. I tend to recommend against taking a cab unless you find a driver who's willing to not leave the meter running while waiting for you to take pictures. The waiting rate in Vegas is 50 cents per minute so if you do cab it and the driver has to sit the typical 10 to 20 minutes you require to take pics, could cost you $10 or more. If you go in the morning on a weekday, there's generally not much wait at all. Evenings when everyone's drunk and wants to go to the Vegas sign, you may have to wait a long time.
- At a casino's craps or blackjack table. Ideally a closed one so you can get the pic without being kicked out, but some casinos are actually pretty nice about taking pics even at an open table, so it never hurts to ask in advance when you're not ready to take the pic, and if they say yes, possibly come back to that location. Read my thread <here> about taking such a picture.
- At the Bellagio fountains during the day or at night; its beautiful both ways. You can use the street side or the patio side behind the fountains if it's not in use at the time.
Here's an idea of how it looks during the day from street side; photo courtesy of lauraaustin2003 and shot by photographer Tyler Freear:
And here's at night, from resort side, courtesy of klminor17
- At the Mirage, there is the word LOVE in huge letters you can sit in near the Beatles Love Cirque show; here's a picture taken by Bently & Wilson:
- This picture also from Bently & Wilson, this area is in the Planet Hollywood lobby.
- Bellagio Lobby http://www.bellagio.com/attractions/fiori-di-como.aspx
- The elevator in the Chandelier Bar at the Cosmo, courtesy of klminor17. Just watch out for Cosmo security...